Monday, June 2, 2008

Paris 2008






A year ago when Tom started thinking about taking a trip to Japan on his own, I started thinking about going to Paris to take French classes. I have no idea why, it seemed like a good idea at the time. So when his trip started taking shape, and elderhostel took him off the waiting list and asked for money, it was time for me to follow through. While I took plenty of time and energy second-guessing my decision, it turned out to be a wonderful trip.

It was a terrific experience for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, our friend Anne invited me to stay with her at her apartment in Montmartre. I loved every minute with Anne, even when her French broke the sound barrier, leaving my comprehension in the dust. She was so very generous and thoughtful, including me in dinners with her friends and family, chauffeuring me to her home in the country on the weekends -- it was more than I ever could have asked or dreamed of. And, of course, her fluent English was very helpful as I tried to decipher the finer points of my French lessons.

I enrolled at L'Atelier 9, a small school in the 9th. It claimed to be relaxed, small, inexpensive and fun. It was all of that and more. It was also 4 metro stops from the apartment, an added bonus. I took the 32.5 hours a week immersion class, and was placed in the highest level that was being taught at the time. Our class included three Germans, three Americans, an Italian, a Brazilain, a New Zealander, and a Brit. It varied a bit as students came and went over the three weeks, but it never exceeded the maximum 9 students. Classes were challenging (sometimes more than challenging), and although I feel that I have forgotten 99% of what we were taught, it was still quite beneficial. I came home with a suitcase full of Inspector Maigret books, a kindle full of public domain French classics that I may even be able to read, and a head full of new vocabulary and grammar. And a heart full of gratitude to Anne for her hospitality and friendship.

And, yes, that is snow on the rooftops of Paris....

No comments: