Friday, March 13, 2009

Mailbox Series I









I've been walking around the neighborhood every other day (alternating with a bike ride that takes me quite a lot farther). Now that I've gotten more used to the various tropical flora, I've started to notice the mailboxes. In my mother's California neighborhood the mailboxes are identical, block after block. In our California neighborhood, the mailboxes are all different, but usually tucked away and unobtrusive. Here, mailboxes are more of an extension of the artistic sensibilities of the residents. And they are a hoot.

This is a brief collection, from a single walk this morning.

Some mailboxes are all alone....


others are in a group.


Some mailboxes are perky....


others seem droopy.


Some are painted,

others are sanded.


Some designs are architectural,


others are birds...
and others are mammals.


Some are just sitting around....

others are teetering....

others are set in stone.


Some are well maintained....


and others seem forgotten.


And some are just plain cool/weird/unusual.
And one is pretty pretentious (but could stand a little straightening).

No comments: